Both Bowen and Emmett Techniques involve touch over specific points on the body, through light clothing or on the skin, the smallest of moves making big changes.
Described as a unique way of bodywork that combines osteopathic &chiropractic intent with acupoint theory, connective tissue softens as a result of the moves, holding points, or switches, many of which are over meridians. Improvement in pain levels, sense of wellbeing and increased movement can be immediate. A simple, safe, and very effective treatment for physical conditions and symptoms that hold you back.
I work the whole body, no matter where your pain or discomfort is. I find the area I think is at the root of the disfunction and imbalance and change it using the moves. Working in this way, I try to bring the body to a state of balance and symmetry.
There are never any guarantees or claims of successful outcomes with any type of treatment or therapy but many people have found that the techniques do:
Relieve pain and improve movement
Revive a sense of well being
Reduce stress levels
Release muscle tension
More specifically Bowen is…
a unique soft tissue remedial therapy. Moves are made over muscle, nerve bundles, ligament, tendons and fascia comprises a challenge, held for a couple of seconds, followed by a rolling move to change the tension being held. It is thought that Bowen changes the relationships of connective tissue. Moves are interspersed with periods of rest which allows time for the body to adjust. These moves are made through light clothing or on skin, while sitting or lying down and can be very effective to help the body achieve homeostasis (balance) on many levels including at a cellular level.
What can it help with?
People receiving Bowen treatments have reported improvements in the symptoms of the following conditions:
- Muscular and skeletal problems in jaw, neck, shoulder, hip, knees, ankle and back, including sciatica
- Problems with posture, range of movement, body alignment and sports injuries
- Frozen shoulder, RSI, Whiplash, Migraine and recurring headaches
- Difficulties experienced by stroke, Parkinson’s, Bell’s Palsy, Multiple Sclerosis, Arthritis & TMJ disorders
- Infant feeding problems & colic
- Stress management, ME, fatigue and sleep problems
Bowen therapy treats the body in holistic way, working on the whole body, centred on treating you – not just your symptoms. It’s suitable for all ages and levels of fitness.
Emmett is used to relax tense muscles
- A safe and simple muscle release therapy
- Useful to address pain and discomfort and movement restrictions
- A method that uses pressure at specific locations to initiate the release of tension in problem areas
- A technique where results are usually immediate
- Non-invasive and involves no drugs, massage oils, manipulations or high velocity thrusts
Bowen & Emmett techniques combined as a treatment is no substitute for medical treatment. In fact, I would prefer it if you had received a diagnosis from a your GP before coming to see me. Then we all know what we’re dealing with.
Google Bowen or Emmett. Remember to add your symptoms to the search terms to find out how it can help you specifically.
Here is a short video explaining the Bowen technique
Find more videos about how Bowen helps with a variety of conditions on the Bowen Therapy Professional Association (BTPA) YouTube Channel
To find more information about the Emmett Technique and how it works here http://emmett-uk.com